Sunday, January 02, 2011

Cleanse for a New Year

May 27, 2007

Last week I saw the a quick tweet that said, check out the The Food Lover's Cleanse from Bon Appetit. I clicked on the link and fell down a rabbit hole.

As with many, a new year brings a desire to get healthier, lose weight and really focus on eating nutritionally well. I thought on this cleanse for a few days before announcing to Scott that I wanted to do the cleanse with one modification. The cleanse is for two weeks and after purchasing food for week one, I decided that it was too expensive to do for two weeks. Seriously I spent about triple what I usually spend on food for this week. I'm not on to usually pinch my pennies on my regular grocery shopping.

Bok Choy-ness

Today was Day One. We broke our fast with two eggs, caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms along with whole grain toast. I then went on a long walk with a friend before returning home for lunch. Scott asked for a free pass on lunches so while he dined on a PB&J sandwich, I had avocado on toast with raw veggies.

Vanilla Date Smoothie

After spending the afternoon making Orange-Cardamom Marmalade, I took a break to make our afternoon snack of Vanilla-Date Smoothie. To say the least, it was disgusting! I couldn't take more than two or three sips. Scott managed to drink almost all of his smoothie but it could have been hunger that made him drink it.

For dinner, we dined on the Ultimate Winter Couscous. I thought it was simply delicious and well worth the 45 minutes of prep. I'm pretty sure this dish will be in our regular rotation.

We made it through Day One with happy bellies and a spring in our step. It will be great to see how we feel after Day Two, especially since we'll be back at work and no longer lounging at home.


No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat