Friday, January 11, 2013

On Running (+ Dogs)

IMG_1547

My running group starts on January 20th but I need to get back into running before then so I don't lose a lung at our first session. I decided that I'd follow my former training schedule until we receive our new one so Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays are for running. 

IMG_1543

Last Tuesday, I decided to take my brother's dogs out with Molly and I on our run. My brother and his wife just had a lovely baby girl and the dogs need their exercise but their owners are otherwise occupied (as expected!) They aren't used to going out with a stroller (but they did excellent!) and really haven't been run in awhile. And to top it off, it was POURING DOWN RAIN! My goal was to wear them out and get a bit of running in for me. 

I was honestly surprised at how much easier my goal was to accomplish than I originally thought. I thought there would be tangled leashes, flipped strollers and me flat on my back in the middle of the road. Our biggest problem was that Phoenix (the light colored dog) would decide that he was not going any further and would sit down. Way to control our speed, dude! 

If I were to do this again (and I'm sure I will), I would wear a belt around my waist with the leashes so I only had to worry about controlling the stroller. I had things looped around both wrists! Also knowing that you can't go balls out on your running means you can work on form. We took it slow and easy along the trail. That's another thing, doing this on a sidewalk is hard! I'd suggest finding a nice, wide trail where the dogs can stretch out their leashes and roam.

Otherwise, I say don't let your stroller or your dogs stop you from running (or walking). It can be done! Yes, it is much easier alone but exercise is good for the soul so get out there and do it!

IMG_1550




No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat