Friday, February 13, 2015

Girl Scout Samoas Salted Caramel No-Churn Ice Cream

gsicecream2

I'm lucky enough to have two best friends. One that I grew up with in Seattle and one that I grew up with through letters and phone calls. I still keep in touch with both of them even though we all live far apart from each other. Facebook, email and Facetime has really helped to close the distance. 

Earlier this week, I was messaging with the best friend who lives in England. We never know what time of day it is for the other person but we love to send messages and wait for responses. It sure beats the days when we'd write each other letters and then have to wait weeks and weeks for a response! 


gsicecream

We were chatting about what we were up to and how our 40th birthday goals were going. I mentioned that it was also the 40th anniversary of the Girl Scout Samoas Cookie and that I was crafting a recipe to highlight their deliciousness. I told her that I was inspired by her and was thinking of making ice cream. You see, my friend is an ice cream maker and a really damn good one at that. She currently specializes in creating frozen desserts for a large grocery chain but before that she made ice cream at her family's ice cream factory. The factory holds a special place in my heart. It's the first place I got to see food being made with machines but also made with so much love and heart. I used to visit her and steal tastes from the tasting room and I thought the freezer was my own personal ice cream store. 



gsicecream3

I floated a few ideas past her and she quickly suggested using sweetened condensed milk for a no-churn ice cream. I asked her for some more details, threw out a few ideas with her and the following recipe was born. 


A few nights ago, I had Molly help me make the ice cream and we talked about the Girl Scouts. I told her that I can not wait for her to become a Brownie and I'm kinda excited about being a Girl Scout leader. I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't live out my Girl Scout dreams through Molly. Of course if she refuses, I'll just put the pressure on Maggie. I have double the chance to fulfill my dreams! 



gsicecream5

After we finished making the ice cream, Molly asked to eat it right away. I think I crushed a bit of her dessert dreams when I told her it had to freeze overnight. Those ice cream dreams came rushing back the next day when I let her have ice cream for lunch. 


You could make your own salted caramel sauce for this ice cream but I decided to go the quick and easy route. I found that my local grocery story had a huge selection of caramel sauce choices. 


Looking to score your own Samoas? You can find the Girl Scout Cookie Locator here.

Girl Scout Samoas Salted Caramel No-Churn Ice Cream

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6+ Hours
Ingredients (1 1/2 quarts)
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons Bourbon
  • 2 cups cold Darigold heavy cream
  • 14 Girl Scout Samoas Cookies (One Box, minus one)
  • 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
Instructions
Place Girl Scout Samoa Cookies in a large plastic bag. Smash with a wooden spoon to break up the cookies. (I also used my hands to break them up)
Stir the sweetened condensed milk with vanilla and Bourbon in a medium bowl and set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat heavy cream in a large bowl on high until stiff peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
Gently fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture.
Stir the Girl Scout Samoa Cookies into the milk mixture and pour into a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Drop spoonfuls of caramel sauce into the loaf pan and swirl into the cookie milk mixture.
Freeze until firm, 6-8 hours.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat